Saturday, December 7, 2013

Video Art Final Project - "Tremor"



The moment I heard the topic for this final video art project was "Embrace the Error", I can't even tell you how excited I was. Glitches, white noise and static - I have no idea why, but I'm drawn to things that contain those irregularities. I almost instantly knew what I wanted to do with this, and after watching an episode of American Horror Story I was filled with motivation and inspiration. I spent the entirety of today working on nothing but this video, and I'm sad that it didn't end up to be very long but I'm really happy with the finished product. I called it "Tremor" because of the shakiness of some scenes.

One of the requirements was that we had to create the audio ourselves. I downloaded a free audio editor called Audacity, and that helped tremendously. This video wouldn't have half the impact it has without that glorious program. I recorded and manipulated nearly all the audio with Audacity, the only exceptions being the crunch of the leaves underfoot in the forest, the light switch flickering, and my feet spinning at the end - those were the original sounds from the video itself.

I used a variety of things to make the sounds: my voice, which I often reversed and played backwards with an occasional echo; manipulation of Audacity's effects to get the white noise and sound-layering; my piano; and an eraser or my nails scrubbing the bumpy surface of my laptop.

This piece features my family and me. My brother appeared most often, and then in the table scene my parents were present as well. My dog was handy in sensing 'disturbances' within the house, much like how animals often react to entities that humans are unable to see.

I had SO much fun doing this. It's actually night right now and after watching my video over and over, I'm starting to scare myself {I already turned on all the lights in my house}.
I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment