Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Stop Motion Animation



I have always admired and been fascinated by stop motion animation.  The huge amount of time and effort that is put into such productions astounds and inspires me, and watching them makes me want to create my own someday.  I love the vibe I get from these animations - the noticeably jerky movements and flickers remind me of an old movie.

The embedded video is a stop motion animation I found called "Sweet Dreams" by Kirsten Lepore.  It follows the life of a cupcake who likes to build.  The cupcake's home is filled with sweets - both the building materials and the area's inhabitants.  The cupcake crafts a boat and sails across an ocean and ends up stranded on an island.  However, the cupcake discovers that there are more individuals living there, and learns that the buildings there are made of carrots and other vegetables.  The inhabitants are healthier foods too.  After the cupcake sails back home on a sailboat crafted by the island fruit- and veggie-people, there is a horrible flood that destroys the buildings made of sweets. The cupcake had been given carrot seeds and planted them earlier, and was able to build a carrot tower to save the sweets-people. From then on, all the buildings were made of vegetables.

I'm not sure what the message was exactly for this animation, if there was one at all, but besides a particular scene involving the cupcake and the cupcake's lover, I would totally use this to teach children that they should eat vegetables instead of sweets because the vegetables were shown to be the better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment