Saturday, October 26, 2013

Cut-Ups and the Dreamachine

Brion Gysin was the creator of the cut-up technique.  This technique is often performed as typing a story, cutting the paper into sections, and then reassembling the pieces out of order to create unique words and sentences that no longer make sense.  It blurs and erases the previous meaning of the story, creating something entirely new.  I love this idea because it's a form of an exquisite corpse.

Gysin also created the Dreamachine {or 'dream machine'} in a collaboration with Ian Sommerville.  The Dreamachine is a very intriguing contraption featured in the picture above.  One must face it with closed eyes, and as the Dreamachine spins rapidly with an illuminated center to create a strobe light effect, the viewer experiences vivid colors and patterns.  I find this to be incredibly interesting, and I think it'd be fun to try sometime - I'm curious about what I'd see.

No comments:

Post a Comment