Sunday, October 13, 2013

"Find what you love."


This wasn't the first time that I watched Steve Jobs' Stanford Commencement Address, but I still find his words freshly inspiring every time.  As an art major who would ideally love to make a living as an artist, it's not easy staying hopeful about how things may turn out if I do end up going that route.  However, Steve Jobs' words about how he overcame obstacles because he had such a strong love for what he did reminded me that even though being an artist wouldn't make me a rich woman, the money won't be the most significant part because I'll be genuinely enjoying the work I produce.  That is the key to success: having a love and passion for what you do.

Words and typography are both forms of art, too, and I've used both in images I've made before.  The unique and individual fonts that are available probably wouldn't exist today if it weren't for Jobs.  The calligraphy class he decided to take was what caused him to create the different fonts for the computer.  I feel that everything happens for a reason, and this is an excellent example of that - even if something seems irrelevant, in can lead to very significant results in the future.

It also makes me think of how many, if not the majority, of the students in my art classes aren't art majors, but they're all taking the art class for one reason or another.  But each professor has made a point to explain how the concepts behind the techniques or lessons they are teaching are not exclusively important for art majors - the students with different majors will be able to take the information learned and find ways to tweak or twist it in a way that can be of significant value in what they're studying.

Steve Jobs was truly innovative and it's inspiring to know how successful he became for doing what he loved.  I'm positive that everyone who has ever listened to his commencement address gained something from it. I know I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment